Hughes Public School
If you have other information to add please click the link
below to contact webmaster.
In 1940 the gym was brick veneered.  1940 also saw the construction of the Smith Hughes
building (Agri Building) and the home economics cottage.  The Smith Hughes building is
named for the Smith Hughes Act of 1917.  By the 1940 school year there were 400 pupils and
sixteen teachers. Total grade school enrollment was 195. First grade teacher Mrs. S. C.
Russwurm with forty-five pupils; second grade teacher Mary Burton with thirty-two; Miss
Dorothy Gillespie (now Mrs. Russell Hardy) with thirty-five in the third grade; Miss Mildred
Carter with twenty-five in the fourth grade; Mrs. Ruth Harrison with twenty-eight in the fifth
grade; and Mary Nelta McVey with thirty in the sixth grade.
Gym (Old Gym) after it was brick veneered
(Picture is from 1942)
Home Economics Building
(Picture is from 1951)
Smith Hughes Building (Agri Building)
(Picture is from 1951)
Senior Picture
School Paper
Photos &
School Items