|Hughes Public School
|If you have other information to add please click the link
below to contact webmaster.
The school board of this time, composed of Bert C. Pouncey, Jr. president, Cliff Nickle,
Charles Adams, Simon Capps, and E. H. Clarke decided to make Hughes a more desirable
place for teachers. For several year prior all teachers had lived in either the Hey home, or in
a small frame house rented from Mrs. T. A. Mehearg. In order to do so the school board
approved the building of a Teacherage. On November 27, 1948 before the new Teacherage
was completed it was destroyed by fire. The Teacherage was rebuilt and opened in time for
the 1949-1950 school year.
The Hughes Alma Mater "Ole Hughes High" written by Mr. and Mrs. O. E. Worrell, first appears
in the October 29, 1948 issue of the Student Printz. Exact date that "Ole Hughes High" was
adopted as the school alma mater is uncertain. As Mr. and Mrs. Worrell came to Hughes in
1947, and the song appears within a years time, it must be assumed that it was adopted
between 1947 and 1948.
New teachers added to the faculty in 1948-49 were:
Mrs. Charles Rose, 6th Grade
Miss Dolly Jones, 5th Grade
Miss Helen Holland, 3rd Grade
Miss Alberta Maroney, 3rd Grade
Miss Alma Wilson, 3rd Grade