|Hughes Public School
|If you have other information to add please click the link
below to contact webmaster.
In the fall of 1949 the Teacherage had been re-built, bigger and better and was ready for
New bleachers able to comfortably sit 600 were added to the football field along with a press
box and a public address system. Thanks to Helena Coca Cola Bottling Company a new
scoreboard with a time clock was erected.
A tennis court was built on campus courtesy of the Rotary Club.
1949 marked the first year that the Hughes Blue Devils win the District 6 B Championship in
football. It also marked the new uniforms for the football team.
Former students say that Hughes became a name in state football because of the work of
Coach Clyde Koon, but it was long hours of physical labor by B. K. McKenzie and Hugh Smith
which made the playing field the smooth green field that was enjoyed by students for many
New teachers added to the faculty in 1949-50 were:
Mrs. Mac Lacefield, 1st Grade
Mrs. Fred R. Martin, 2nd Grade
Miss Edna Bond Gibson, 2nd Grade
Miss Marvell Swindle, 3rd Grade
Miss Ethel Lewis, 4th Grade
Mrs. Lester Ledbetter, 6th Grade
Mr. Lester Ledbetter, Math/Chemistry
Mr. Mac Lacefield, History/Science
Mr. Charles Tully, Math/Science
(Picture is from 1951)
|The 1949 District 6-B Champions
Hughes Blue Devil Football Team
(Click on picture to enlarge)