|If you have other information to add please click the link
below to contact webmaster.
|Hughes Public School
On October 24, 1965 the students of Hughes High and the community of Hughes itself
gathered for the opening and dedication of the New Gym. The gym contains a spacious
playing court, two offices, dressing rooms, storage, classrooms, a large lobby, concession
stand, trophy case, and a clinic.
Also added to the Hughes School Campus in 1965-66 was the Administration building. The
Administration building contains a secretary office, superintendent office, board room,
storage space, an extra office, and a vault.
Other changes to around the campus included a sign in front of the new gym given as a gift
by the class of 1965, and the library in the Jr. High Building was enlarged by the removal of
1965 was the last year that the school held its annual Halloween Carnival. The Halloween
Carnival had been a beloved school tradition going back at least to the mid 1940's. Its
demise was a lost for the students and the community of Hughes as a whole.
New faculty members were:
Mr. Art Rainwater, Math/Coach
Miss Kay Matthews, Physical Education
Miss Lou Burgess, 2nd Grade
Mrs. Peggy Goerisch, 4th Grade
Mrs. Corrine Richardson, 3rd and 4th Grade
Miss Peggy Brown, 3rd Grade
Miss Judy Batson, 2nd Grade
Miss Kathy McCaig, 4th Grade
Miss Eva Marie Kieth, Music
Mrs. J. T. McCoy, Lunchroom Supervisor
Mrs. L. E. Vanderford, Nurse
(Picture is from 1965)
(Picture is from 1966)
|Plaque marking completion of building.
(Click on image to enlarge)